Sunday, November 11, 2012

QUILTS IN HOUSTON

IMG_6199IMG_6090IMG_6200

This is Jane Sassaman with her “Willow” quilt. Fairfield Batting owns it and they brought it back ‘home’ this year to Quilt Market!  This quilt is significant in many ways…it won Best of Show, it is one of the top 100 quilts of the 20th century… but it is also the quilt I saw the first time I attended Market and fell in love with it, and Jane was from that point on, my favorite quilter!  We were happy to see it up close and see that it is still a remarkable piece!

IMG_6186

Sorry for the blurry photo. This is Before Dark by Noriko Endo and consists of many small pieces of silk under layers of tulle. This is a bit different for Noriko who usually does landscapes.  She is the author of Confetti Naturescapes.

IMG_6197

It was good to see my Noriko Endo piece hanging and can’t wait until it comes back to my living room! This quilt with the hundreds of cherry blossoms was done with the new Cherry Blossom die from Accuquilt that Noriko designed.  She used it to make this top below.  It was in a special Japanese silk exhibit.

IMG_6135IMG_6136IMG_6137IMG_6138

 

IMG_6177IMG_6179IMG_6180

This quilt was done in the same Confetti style as Noriko even with cherry blossoms!

IMG_6141IMG_6142

Last year at Festival, I bought a small Pat Holly and have been looking at it for hours trying to figure out how she does it! I’m a big fan so I was looking for this year’s entry. This is a large size but with tiny pieces in all the detail.  The silk really makes the colors pop!  Her workmanship is outstanding!

So, here is a photo of Jane Sassaman and Philippa Naylor at dinner.

IMG_6167

Here are the two quilts that Philippa entered this year. The yellow, blues, Tumbling Blocks quilt is in the Quilt Festival Scene magazine.

IMG_6145IMG_6166

It’s hard to see in this photo but there are 3-D blocks stuffed and attached to the surface of this quilt to give it even more dimension. Each block was hand shaped to fit the irregular rectangle shapes and is heavily free-motion quilted.

IMG_6151IMG_6152

Here is another group quilt. I love these. If you want to know how to make one, check out my book, Quilting Party!

IMG_6183IMG_6184IMG_6185

I leave you with this gorgeous dragon and phoenix quilt, one of my favorites. Next week, more quilts from Houston!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful quilts and I have always loved Jane's quilt, since the first time I saw it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
]