Sunday, March 6, 2011

Wildflowers Quilt by Smith Street Designs

wildflower1

Here is the one and only block-of-the-month quilt that I've done...or ever plan to do! 

Every month I received packs of batiks to go with a wildflower embroidery pattern. I loved the idea of combining embroidery applique designs in this beautiful pattern, so I gave it a try. Here are some close-ups of my work.

wildflower2

wildflower3

wildflower4

For a while I was keeping up. I dutifully did my block every month before the next packet arrived. But then this and that happened and next thing I know, a special drawer in my studio (I need to post a picture of the many special drawers in my studio) was devoted to this project for years.

But it’s okay! This winter I decided I was going to get back on that wildflower quilt horse. I pulled it all out and finished the embroideries on several blocks then sewed it all together at my guild's sew-in one weekend.

This week I got more fabric and created the borders with little one inch square colored blocks. Putting this all together became fun, like visiting an old friend.

The hardest part for me is yet to come. How to quilt this top?  I know I'll put it on the Handi-quilter rental at my local store and do something. Next week I have my dear friend and award-winning quilter Philippa Naylor as a houseguest. I’ll pick her brain and get some expert advice before I make another stitch.

I'll post a photo of the finished quilt with close ups of the quilting design. But don't hold your breath.

1 comment:

  1. Your BOM is lovely and I truly like the 1 inch blocks in the pieced border! Was the BOM from a quilt shop of from an online group?

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
]