Saturday, July 20, 2013

NQA PART 3 & adding to my collection

 

Here is the final group of quilts that caught my eye at the NQA show in June.

Although I’ve seen the work of Cindy Needham before, it’s been years and these pieces were so impressive and inspiring to me. I’d love to find old tablecloths and make some quilts like these…only one problem…I don’t have the free motion skills that she has!

DSC05642DSC05643DSC05644DSC05645DSC05646

I stared at the detail of each one trying to see where the tablecloth embroidery left off and her free motion stitching was but I couldn’t tell. Check her website for books and info on her technique.

And here is one by Barbara Polston that is equally fantastic.

DSC05621DSC05623

Completely opposite from luxurious antique tablecloths are my personal favorites, the dog quilts. I just lost my Portuguese water dog so I am particularly fond of these quilts. They are fun, whimsical and colorful.

DSC05561DSC05562DSC05640

Canine Power Suit by Barbara Beasley

 

This week I finally bought a small Jane Sassaman quilt! I’ve been following her work since she won Best of Show for the Willow quilt decades ago and said to myself that someday I would own one of her quilts.  Well here is Cat’s Whiskers, hot off the machine/pressing table!  I love the colors, I love the movement and the graphic boldness of her style! Now where to hang it?

Cat's Whiskers

 

Leaving for three weeks to Germany, Austria, Alsace and Venice so check back here in mid August and hopefully I will have some textile photos to share.  Meanwhile there is a free shipping special while I am gone. Sign up for the newsletter so you can see it! Bon Voyage!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, these are all so beautiful. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
]