Monday, July 1, 2013

National Quilting Assoc Convention

Every June I travel 12 miles straight down HIgh Street to the Columbus convention center for the big NQA show!  They offer lots of classes by national teachers, fun get-togethers, a large exhibition of quilts and of course, vendor booths!

I always look forward to seeing the quilts and seeing if friends won ribbons. This year friend and master free-motion quilter Beth Schillig entered a new concept and won Second Place for Art Innovative Quilt! Go Beth!DSC05628DSC05629

Can you believe this detailed stitching? She is a master and I LOVE this art quilt!

DSC05583

This is by friend and neighbor, Teri Tope, of her in-laws. I recently took this class from her and while it is a rather simple concept-- stitching straight black lines close and spaced from each other- it takes some skill to finesse the shading.  She is a master and expect to see a book on this technique from her in the near future. This is such an innovative style and she captures the expressions beautifully!

So, MODERN QUILTING…?  What does that mean to you? Over the past few years, this ‘new’ theme has come to the foreground of quilting and started a revolution.  Is it just bedquilts with white or gray backgrounds and some sparse color and patchwork? Are they all ‘beginner’ level skill? All of a sudden what I’ve known as quilting is old-fashioned!? I’ve been pondering this as have many quilters of the older generation.

Here are some quilts from the show that I think can bridge that modern/ traditional gap or redefine ‘Modern’ quilting. A little more skill, a little more color and color variation. Definitely LOVE these!

DSC05564DSC05566

DSC05565

DSC05577

DSC05625DSC05627

DSC05626

DSC05631DSC05632DSC05634DSC05635DSC05636DSC05638

Let me know what you think and I’ll post more quilts from the show next week.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting these photos. It is the first time since the NQA show has been in Columbus that I have not been able to attend. So good to see quilts from my friends, Beth and Teri. Hope to make it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting some good examples of modern quilts. It irritates me when quilts are promoted as 'modern' when really all they are is a traditional block pattern, done poorly, in gray and orange. That is a big "so what?" and not modern at all.

    Unravelled and Back to Nature are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such grand quilts. So inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing. I find Tequila Sunrise very inspirational! Need to improve my free motion skills!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
]