Friday, March 13, 2015

The Wedding Quilt

Project #10 for 2015!

I’m posting about these gift quilts and hoping that the recipients don’t read my blog! I want them to be a surprise but I also want to document my work this year.

DSC04444

When I offered to make a sofa quilt for the bride, she went on Pinterest and chose this quilt. It’s called Bella’s Bird by Jean Smith. I thought, simple enough to make but the fabric line was 2 years old!

It is by designer Lotta Jansdotter of Windham Fabrics and I scanned the entire internet and went to the sites of dozens of quilt stores that carry Windham’s fabric and with the help of etsy, I found 7 of the 9 fabrics needed! Thank goodness for a store in TX that had 3 yards of the blue graph for the backing!

DSC04357

I substituted 2 other fabrics that I thought complemented…the gray dot border and the light gray floral with white, in the center. Then I packed it all up and went to my guild’s quilt retreat at a lodge in the woods in the middle of nowhere’s-ville!  No phone service for the entire Friday to Sunday time.

I sat and sewed for 12 hours on Saturday not counting the breaks for food, and I got the top mostly finished. I ran out of gray dots and had to wait until I returned to get just a half yard more.

DSC04451

Decided to do simple straight line quilting since it is rectangle blocks and just stitched every few inches both ways. I just love to run that walking foot at top speed!

The quilt is 66” square and is a 5 blocks x 5 blocks pattern. Kind of reminds me of Marimekko fabric! It just needs a label with their names and wedding date and it’s ready for the September nuptials! I hope it is something they’ll use a lot in their new home for cozy nights on the sofa!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice post, Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also use Blog Engine, and I was speculating about your experiences; homework help services we have developed some great techniques and we are looking to exchange practices with others,

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
]