Monday, August 2, 2010

Lake Sunapee and me. And quilts, of course!

Just back from a fabulous two week vacation to Lake Sunapee, NH where the boys and I rented a house and just relaxed on the water. The weather was perfect! Warm days and cool water with lots of boats to play with.

The closest town is New London where they have a very nice Historical society that consists of old buildings on a farm. It was my luck that they had a quilt show going on while I was there! Did they know I was coming?  The show was in a beautiful restored barn attached to an old house.  In the loft of the barn were many spinning wheels just waiting for agile fingers and some fleece!

A mix of contemporary and vintage quilts were displayed on the walls and furniture.   My favorite was this new one made of Japanese fabrics on some of the Taupe collection pieced background.  The hand-stitching sets off each circle beautifully.

On one of the beds was a new quilt that looked as it would have looked hundreds of years ago. The colors were very appealing.

On the way out I saw these old spools with hand spun wool displayed against a new quilt and loved the muted colors.

If you are ever in New Hampshire, Lake Sunapee is the perfect place to stay with a family who likes the water. It is also dog friendly. My beloved pooch Rio enjoyed swimming in the lake very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

 
]