Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving in New York

pallette

Last week for Thanksgiving we drove to upstate New York to visit our best friends, Candace and Derek James.  Candace, Derek, and I were all together at the Pratt Institute a few years ago. Okay, a few decades ago but who’s counting? (Hint: I am NOT.)

Derek is a fine artist/painter. His work is many private collections including those of Tom Hanks and Bruce Springsteen...and that’s right, my house.

Dinner this year was a formal sit-down affair for 37 in his barn studio. China, stemware, sterling silver, twinkling lights, great friends, and great art! It was fabulous from soup to salad, to buffet turkey and trimmings.

Here’s the barn:

barn 

Inside, before dinner:

barn side 

barn front 

And after the transformation:

candles 

candle2 

The day after Thanksgiving I went snooping in the barn. I can’t help myself! I opened a flat file drawer; my jaw dropped. Another drawer; another jaw-drop. Derek has hundreds of beautiful drawings and amazing small paintings.

drawer1 

drawer2 

triptych 

While in the neighborhood, I couldn’t pass up a chance to visit my dear friend and author, the amazing Joan Lintault. Details about the visit, pictures of a work in progress and (drum roll please) a giveaway coming up this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

 
]