Monday, June 21, 2010

Confetti Naturescapes at the printer (and on my table)!

This past week, Noriko Endo’s book, Confetti Naturescapes started the last leg of its long journey to the printers.

Of course, it’s already been a long journey getting the book ready to go to the printer. From initial concept through the writing, photographing, book design, editing, proof-reading, more photographs, more editing….It’s a process, but one that ended last week when I dropped the final proof in the FedEx box.

This is such an exciting time for me, my book designer, my authors. No matter how many books we do here at Dragon Threads, when that book arrives and I’m holding it in my hands, it’s as wonderful to me as the very first one we did.

However, before a book goes to print, there’s such a flurry of work to be done: final edits, photo retouching, design tweaks, phone calls, emails, more edits. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed sometimes when a press deadline looms. Then, of course, we wait! The whole process of printing and shipping (by boat from Thailand) takes about two months. But guess what! The proofs (courtesy of DHL) arrived today and are on my kitchen table. Oh, are they gorgeous!

book proof noriko proof

Even better, while I’m waiting for the books, I’ve been able to enjoy one of Noriko’s spectacular quilts here, close to home. As I noted in a previous post, her quilt, Autumn Reflection #2, is on display in a show at the Richard Ross Museum in Delaware, Ohio. reflections

This really is a breathtaking quilt, and seeing the quilt in person makes me even more excited to see her work in print. Look at this detail! The lower part was water reflections, which really glisten from the fibers she captured in the layers of tulle.reflections quilt Her stitching adds so much dimension to the piece. 

The quilt was marked “Not For Sale” but I hear that it is being sold to a collector in town. Most of Noriko's quilts are sold and sometimes before she is even finished with the quilting!

If you'd like to see more of her work she has a nice website with her international teaching schedule too: www.norikoendo.com.

In the meantime, if you’re lucky enough to live in central Ohio, go see her quilt for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful and creative. I just love the colors and whoever gets it in the mail will be smiling.
    drukarki 3d

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
]